Sunday, September 30, 2012

Similaritites and Differences in Communication

I was quite surprised by the results of this assignment.  I chose to ask my manager and husband to evaluate me in communication, listening, and verbal aggression.  To my surprise we all came up with the same results, only varying slightly with numbers.  I was especially surprised at my husband's results.  I thought for sure that I would have rated higher in the verbal aggression category in his eyes!  Even though we had similar results, verbal aggression is something that I would like to work on with him.  For now, I do not see much improvement, however, once I am finished with school in the summer I hope to be less stressed.  As with many others, I am sure that the more stress that is in our lives, the less effective we are with communication, listening, and verbal aggression.  So for now, bear with me hubby!!!!

Insights that I have gained this week are the many concepts that are involved in how we perceive ourselves.  From self-concept, self-esteem, and self-efficacy I never realized how important each of these are in the way we perceive others and communicate.  I have also realized that for the most part, I believe that my competence level would be that of self-actualization.  I strive in communicating as well as possible, and this week has given me the terms necessary to identify myself.  Of course, the feeling of self-adequacy is also present, which I was able to identify this week and work towards more of a self-actualization in these areas.

I would suggest others to take these tests and give them to other people as well to complete.  It is an eye opener.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    I loved those assessments’ was not as surprised as I thought I would be when I took them, but very when others assess me. I agree everyone should take these assessments to see where their weakness lies in communication skills .I know that I will try to better my skills.I enjoyed your blog and I am sure your a great communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    I agree! I know first hand that with increasing stress comes ineffective communication. I have experienced this once again at work over the month of September. A conference we were holding took up the majority of my time which led me to fail in several communication situations. I have been examining this over the past week and have explored triggers to my communication skills (effective & ineffective).

    Thanks for sharing!
    I think all my colleagues should take these assessment as well. This could be a great team building exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    I think it was great for your husband to evaluate you. I was scared to get my husband to do it because of what the results would be. After reading your blog, I think I may get him to do it for fun. I know my verbal aggression is going to score bad because working, taking care of a family, and going to school is a lot for one person.

    ReplyDelete