Sunday, September 23, 2012

Culture and Communication

I definately find myself communicating differently with people from different group and cultures.  Friends and family members that I have known for a long time, have built positve relationships with, and accept each other's differences are those groups that I tend to be less formal with and can share opinions and be honest with without having to worry about offending anyone.  This comes much more naturally than does with co-workers, families, and other professionals.  It is with this group that more time and energy is put into not expressing cultural myopia and many times remembering the Platinum Rule.  Being aware of those nonverbal communication styles is much more prevalent with the second group than with friends and family.  Not that the Platinum Rule and not expressing cultural myopia is not important with family and friends, I just think that those individuals are much better at accepting who we are as a person and are more willing to discuss situations that may be uncomfortable, where as the second group, professionals, co-workers, and families may view you differently and not as accepting.

One strategy that I would like to try is to value the Platinum Rule more with family and friends.  Even though they are accepting and do not judge, so I feel, I would like to see how our relationships become with more empathy.  I tend to be a very independent person and sometimes I do not have patience for "drama".  I am not a spoon feeder when it comes to adults.  But would love to work on this perspective.

Another strategy I would like to use is to immerse myself with many people of different cultures, beliefs, and values.  Getting to know and understand different cultures will help in lessoning culture myopia, which I am sure we all have at one time or another.   This theory is similar to one way that Dr. Sue (2011) mentions about preventing microagression, interact with diverse individuals. 

Lastly, learning about what motivates individuals can help to when communicating effectively in the professional field.  If we understand what others need and desire, we are much more able to put into place the Platinum Rule with most individuals.




Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life

            [Webcast]. Baltimore, MD: Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment