Saturday, September 8, 2012

Competent Communication

When I think of someone who demonstrates competent communication, I think of the director of Early Education, Head Start programs where I am currently employed.  She has a balance of communication techniques that make you feel valued and that what you have to say or what questions you have are important.  She definately possesses behavioral flexibility, the willingness to use different communication behaviors in different situations (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012).  She is able to know what situation require questioning to help a person discover the best answer on their own.  She is able to know when to be direct and respond clearly and concisely.  She knows when a person just needs someone to listen to and allows that person the time without interruptions or bias.  She is able to effectively adjust her communication technique instantly.

I would like to model some of these communication behaviors.  For myself, I tend to have a difficult time responding effectively immediately, on the spot.  I do much better reflecting on conversations when I have time to reflect and think of the best way to approach a situation.  The one communication style that I would not like to model from the person described above is that at times she does more reflective questioning for my taste!  There are times when I am unsure and would just like a straight forward suggestion or idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment