Saturday, September 15, 2012

Communication is Not Always Straightforward

Last night I watched an episode of Friends.  Always see it on T.V., however, I am not a big T.V. watcher so I never saw the show.  Watching the show without sound lead me to believe that a man was trying to help a woman learn how to ride a bike.  She begins to pedal and he let's go and then she falls.  Her non verbal language, stiff, red faced, and arm shaking, lead me to believe that she was not happy at all.  As she walked away other people around gave them man a stare.  At this time I was unsure of their relationship, possibly friends.  Later, as I find out they live together, the man goes to her room with a sad look, most likely apologizing.  She smiles and nods her head "yes" and then rolls her eyes.  With the roll of her eyes, it is difficult to know if she truly is happy about trying to ride again or if she is only trying to please the man.

After watching the show with sounds, I found out that, yes, the man is trying to help her ride, but says that he promises he won't let go.  After letting go and she falls, I could definately see why her and everyone else seemed so upset with him!  The comfort in his voice and listening to how the woman speaks forgivingly leads me to believe that she honestly does want to try the bike again.

During another portion of the show, there is a group of people outside of a home.  Inside a woman looks like she is quickly trying to finish making candy.  I am lead to believe that the people outside have ordered candy and are becoming impatient as they wait.  As the people become more impatient the husband abruptly opens the door, shaking his hands and opening his mouth wide (yelling).  The people outside have angry looks and arms crossed.  However, after watching with sound, I found out that the people are all new neighbors and that the woman has invited them over for candy.  The man and woman then go inside the home and hug and kiss, which I assumed they were husband and wife without sound.

If this were a show I knew, I would have been able to distinguish the relationships between the people and their personality.  I would have been able to know that the second couple were getting new neighbors and that the candy may have been a kind gesture rather than a candy sale.   

After completing this assignment, I have realized the importance of knowing and listening to families and individuals, not only in the workplace, but also on a personal level.  Without understanding and listening, we are left to assumptions that may not always be the correct assumptions.



2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    Great observation! Although we can not always be sure of what is going on just by looking in, it is possible to get a good idea of relationships and context. You did a great job with distinguishing what was happening in each part of the show. As soon as I began reading your post, I could recall the episode as I am an avid Friends watcher! :) However, I very much agree with you that observing as an outsider is a tricky situation and leads to assumptions that are not always correct. Keeping the lines of communication open is the best way to be certain when interacting with families! Nice job!!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    I love watching Friends, it's my time away from the ins and outs of the world.
    I concluded the same as you while watching 30 Rock - sound gives the story meaning. It would be very challenging to decipher the relationship between these 6 friends viewing the show for the first time, without sound. I hope you found a new show to watch, if you like mindless comedy.

    ReplyDelete