Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Family Culture

Three items that I hold dear and which I consider to represent my family culture are:



1.  My family scrapbook  
     The scrapbook is one that I have been working on since my first chid was born.  It holds memories of my children's births, family, friends, vacations, and many other activities our family and friends have enjoyed together.  Even today, our family often takes out the book and looks at it and talks about the fun times together and who the family members are in the photos, past and present.



2.  My coin collection    
     The coin collection comes from my late grandfather, who originally had given it to my mom, who then passed it down to me.  All 3 of his children received a set, however, my mother is the only one who did not sell them.  Now that my grandfather is no longer with us, and with his passing came family turmoil, which resulted in his biological children receiving none of his personal belongings, I still have a piece of him with me.  I also know that it means a lot to my mom that I value our family enough to hold on to a part of her dad.  Even though I plan to never get rid of the coins, in a situation where the coins could possibly reunite me with my country and the rest of my family, I would consider using them only for that instance.



3.  Our birth certificates, social security cards, liscenses, etc. 
     Not really sure why, but never know when you might need them.  Not sure what the other country requires.  So I guess they would be good items to have when going to the unknown.  When my children grow up, they would have these documents.

If I had to give up 2?  I certainly would want to keep the one that would benefit our family in the future.   Which 1 would possibly reunite us with the rest our family and possibly give us the opportunity to leave the host country if need be.  I guess I would have to give up the scrapbook and coin collection.  However, if I thought the possibility of being reunited with family and friends and leaving the host country was never possible,  I would give up the coin collection and birth certificates, social security cards, liscenses, etc. 

I guess this assignment has made me think that I am optimistic and think about what is best for the future.  Family is certainly important, however, thinking about what would make our family happy and successful in the long run is a priority.


8 comments:

  1. Hello Amanda, Your idea of the taking identification papers to leave for future generations is a good idea. I only focused on my current fmaily. I guess my future generations would have not idea of their former relatives. Great thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coins, more importantly that your mother kept the coins, is a beautiful story. It reminds us all that value of things lie not only in the physical value, but the emotional value.
    My parents also left coins for us. My two brothers and I haven't done anything with them. They still are at my Mom's empty house.
    Where are the coins from if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. Your have some interesting memories. I choose to keep the family album as one of my items. There are treasued memories in my album that are keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read the classes posts it is nice to read that so many people want to hold onto their family albums and scrapbooks. I chose to keep mine, however, I did not think of those legal documents. The coin collection is special. My father passed away almost 3 years ago and I considered taking something of his, but I could not determine what would be best to take. When considering my children, I figured that pictures would be more concrete for them to associate with than a tool or another object.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda,

    Thank you for sharing your responses. I liked that you chose to bring your coin collecion and scrapbook. I chose Baron's (my son's) baby items that I have kept throughout each one of his major developmental stages since he was born. I had a difficult time with this assignment partly because I never realized how attached I was to certain objects. However, in the end, I just want my family to be healthy and happy, and if that means that I need to leave the sentimental keep sakes behind over the more practical item, then it has to be done. I cannot imagine having to go through something like this now because having a son makes things much more difficult, especially if I had to tell him that we could not take all of his toys/stuffed animals etc. I know that my reaction affects him and his reaction to things so I would make sure that I showed happiness and excitement.
    Thanks for sharing your blog post!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I concur that I did forget about the importance of documentation! Though I'd assume if our government was sending us as refugees to another country, they would have that taken care of?? I also thought with your coin collection, should this catastrophe get worse, you could barter with them??? (I know they're important, but if push comes to shove;) ). Thanks for your remarks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda,
    I never thought about a coin collection but i can understand your choice after reading your post. A legal document can come in pretty handy when placed in a foreign situation. I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amanda:

    Good item choices! I definitely feel you on the coin collection. Money Money Money! LOL The scrapbook is nice too. I actually need to get on the ball and complete one for my family. My Bigma did a great job doing that so I want to do the same thing. Birth certificate, definitely would not have thought of that but again, great idea! I see you are well prepared!

    ReplyDelete