Thursday, June 21, 2012

When I Think of Research...

This course has taken me on quite a bit of a journey.  In the beginning, learning how to evaluate research articles was a huge help not only for this course, but for future courses.  At first glance, the number of pages seems overwhelming, but by following the pattern of research articles and knowing what to skip was, and will be, extremely helpful in reading and writing research papers.  Through my career, I have been exposed to research, however, not to the extent that this course has done.  Defining and experimenting with the types of research approaches (quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-method), has made me think through the nature of research studies and just made me more aware of vocabulary used in such studies.  What lessons have I learned about planning, designing, and conducting research?  EVERYTHING!  I didn't realize how much preparation goes into such studies, issues that can arise with participants, and the whole idea of ethics and ethic committees.  I have also learned that children, just like adult participants, should be given just as much respect throughout the entire research study, even when their parents sign the consent to participate.  I guess from working with children and building that positive rapport, I looked at it as...children love the attention and when finished with the study move on to what makes them happy. 

There were many challenges, and still are!  Trying to figure out a research question that is narrowed and focused and trying to keep the vocabulary straight and apply it to my own application papers are two challenges I can think of.  Rereading the information and searching on the internet for articles that may have clarified things easier were two strategies that I used.  Also reflecting on Dr. Myer's comments and through colleague discussions, helped me to see things in a different perspective.  Early childhood professionals have a high standard to uphold in their everyday careers, especially those doing research on young children.  A lot of time and effort goes into making sure that research is being done for a purpose, respectfully, and in a manner that is valid.  I can see myself paying closer attention to reading research studies, after taking this course.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    I have enjoyed reading your post. This has truly been an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all these weeks, I still find myself conflicted about research. I'm happy to have a better understanding of research (it's been a long while since my undergraduate Statistics class!). I am also wiser in my thinking about the research we do everyday with children as subjects (anecdotals, assessments, etc) and with children as research colleagues (think Reggio Emilia and Pathways to Science). I also know better - and understand when the data is less than scientific (inter-rater reliability issues, researcher interest in outcomes, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also appreciate the fact that I have a better understanding of how to navigate through research studies for future classes. They were a bit intimidating up until this point. I feel confident my knowledge for future courses will be much greater when it comes to research studies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda,

    I also had a hard time selecting the right words to create my research question and hypothesis. I do believe that once the participants and variables are selected, the research will flow better on out. I agree with you, I too will read more research articles as to keep up with my newly polished research terminology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda,

    Amen! You said it all and did it very well. I too am glad for Dr. Myer's support and added insights as well as the many wise words from our peers. I enjoyed your discussion posts and following your blog. I hope that our paths cross again. Good luck and happy learning in your next course.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda,
    It was nice having you in class. I enjoyed reading your weekly posts and blogs. I believe also that its only right to give children participants the same respect as adults. I agree with you that as Early Childhood professionals we are constantly faced with daily challenges. Best of luck as you continue on your academic journey.

    ReplyDelete