Saturday, January 14, 2012

Relationship Reflection

As I reflect on relationships that were meaningful in my life, there are three that stand out the most:  my family, my closest friends, and my co-workers.  Each have similar and different qualities about them that help keep our relationships positive and healthy.

When thinking of my family relationships, I think of my husband.  He is the man that sticks by me through thick and thin.  I met my husband when going to college (for the first time).  Our relationship grew immediately.  We enjoyed similar activities, had similar friends, and had the same views about raising a family.  We had differences as well, which is where other relationships in my life come into play!  Some of these include our professions and SPORTS!  Compromising, openness, and a sense of humor are characteristics of our relationship that have kept us happily together. 

Some of my closest friends, before meeting my husband and today, are yet another positive piece to healthy relationships in  my life.  Friend relationships are give and take, talk and listen, and laugh and cry.  They are the ones that are their when a break from everything is needed and deserved.  Never judgmental and always available.  Although we all have families and are quite busy, we never forget to find time for each other and schedule "girl days/nights out". 

Lastly, my co-workers...  They share the same profession and have similiar professional goals.  We are there to remind each other to remain open minded, continue to become life long learners, be conscience of our biases and to not forget what we have gone to college for...children and their families.  And although it is at times hard to do all of these things, they are the ones to listen and share powerful words to remind me that life is a challenge, but together we are able to reach our dreams.  Dreams in our profession, dreams for our family, and dreams for ourselves. 

These personal relationship experiences are similar experiences involved with working with children and their families.  It is important to be open minded, compromise, aware of biases and be able to put them aside, and both listen and know when to share information. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I did not mention my husband in my post, but I have to say, he is my number one! We both have children from a previous marriage and were just married ourselves in 2010. Our wedding was only five months prior to my student teaching assignment. We moved into a new house over the summer and then the circus began! Working full time, raising children, and going student teaching...well, basically I was a mess for three months! But he was amazing and I could not have done it without him. I love him so much! We are very fortunate to have good men by our side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    You described three very important elements related to the relationships in our lives. You are fortunate to have a solid relationship with your husband, good friends and supportive co-workers. My husband and I share many of the same interests too but I must say, when it comes to our profession, we are very different. He supports strong unions due to the work he does and I am mid-level management at my job. We have had some pretty "interesting" conversations over years with our differing view points. We often to agree to respectfully disagree and move on. Having good friends to balance things out is important too. Lastly, having supportive colleagues must be beneficial when it comes to getting through the day to day with your work.
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    I didnt realize how important co-workers are to my life. As I look back, four of my close friends became my friends while we were working together. I value this friendships just like I value my friendships with those that I have known since elementary school and because of our shared interests and personalities we all get along and plan trips together.

    ReplyDelete