Friday, August 10, 2012

Welcoming families from Around the World

Before this course, I really did not understand how important knowing about a person's country of origin was.  So, I could probably pick any country because I never took a tremendous amount of time to truly prepare myself to be culturally responsive.  Let's pick Haiti for this assignment.

To prepare myself and my classroom to be culturally responsive, I would research as much information as possible about the country.  Learning the language fluently would be impossible in such a short amount of time, but learning a few common words and phrases would be beneficial and most likely make the family feel welcomed.  Scheduling a home visit with the family before the child started in the classroom would also help to gain knowledge about the family, their culture, and their child.  Observing how the family interacts with one another and the child, as well as continuing to observe the child in the classroom would help to gain a lot of information about how the family functions, what they find important, their interests, and the child's temperament.  Talking with other colleagues may help to gain information about the country and/or ways to help the child and family be successful.  And lastly, bringing as much of the child's culture into the classroom, along with every other child's culture. 

These preparations would help build positive communications between the child and their family.  A bit of trust and comfort may come from the home visit as well as the effort put into learning a few common words/phrases in their language.  Bringing the child's culture into the classroom and helping all children understand their own culture and that of others will help to build a positive self-identity.  For myself, the preparation and continued observations will build my knowledge of diversity and continued learning.

                       

7 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    Like you, I feel like I would have to do my homework for any child that came from another country, except perhaps Mexico (I have lots of family from there!). I think a home visit is such a great way to meet the family and children for the first time, unless they are not comfortable with that setting. As I have worked for Head Start, I have had a handful of families that do not want me in their home and choose to do the home visit at a relatives home or at the school. We tell them why we are coming and let them know that we are not there to judge, but some families just do not want us in their homes! I also would want to learn words and phrases to make the new family feel welcome! Introducing the new child and helping the other children make her feel welcome is also very important. I guess I would have to add that to my post, that I would want to take time to prepare the other children for the arrival of their new classmate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda,

    I really liked your comment, "Bringing the child's culture into the classroom and helping all children understand their own culture and that of others will help to build a positive self-identity". Until this class, I never really thought about how a child entering into a classroom of a different culture would impact their self-identity. I know, of course, learning the language and having trouble communicating would be scary. I just never thought about how being different from the other children might make them feel lower or less than the other kids. I feel allowing the child to share their culture with the other kids is so important, because the other children will love it and it will turn out to be something cool! They could teach them some words in their language, bring in photographs, and share music or art from their culture.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sarah
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    I forgot how useful home visits can be in providing information about a family's culture. I have to admit that I would be quite nervous to do a home visit. But, I imagine that this is how families feel when they walk into the new environment of our program. I will remember to consider their feelings associated with being in a new place. This means that I need to maintain a pleasant disposition while interacting with the students and families so that they feel comfortable in the program/classroom.

    Thank you for sharing,
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda,

    Like you, I feel taking the initiative to learn some common words and phrases of their language is very important in making them feel welcomed. Those small moments of verbal communication can go so far and mean so much. Great Post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda:

    Great post! As much as I love to talk, I totally forgot about the language for the country I chose. I guess subconsciously, I think everyone speaks English! lol But I would definitely add that to the list, especially if the child and family are still learning English. It does feel good to walk into a place in a foreign land and everyone greets you in your native language. I felt that when I did a study abroad in Mexico. Even if it is just a simple "Hi", that was cool too! So thanks for bringing that to my attention. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amanda, I like the idea of learning the language as much as possible. You can also try labeling items in the classroom in the child’s native language so the child can identify the item.

    Thanks for Sharing!

    Andrea Cureton

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda,
    Like you before these classes, I would never have looked up nor thought about Hatti, Chile or any other country except while watching the news. I've learned that it pays to be interested in equity, justice and eqality for all, expecially children. The choice youve made are interesting and similar to the ones I choose as well.Nice post.

    ReplyDelete