Saturday, November 5, 2011

Personal Birthing Experience

I chose the birth of my last son to write about.  First, because it was the most recent and also because it was my last and a bit different than my other two.  This birth was planned and scheduled, due to having gestational diabetes.  From the moment I knew I was pregnant, I was careful to receive the best prenatal care, from vitamins, eating healthy, exercising, and keeping scheduled appointments with my doctor.  It was this pregnancy that I ended up with diabetes.  Besides regular injections and sugar checks, all was well. 

The day of my scheduled delivery, my husband, mother, and I were welcomed by caring nurses and doctors.  They explained how inducing my labor would occur and that they would monitor my blood sugar, as well as the baby's upon delivery.  Once the petocin was increased, labor moved quickly, and the epidural had no time to begin to work.  Our third son was born healthy and with no effects from the diabetes.  My pregnancy and delivery were fairly stress free.  I trusted my doctors and nurses and felt confident in knowing they would help me to care for me and my child.  This trust and healthy prenatal care, has had a positive impact on my now wonderful two year old.  He is a "normal", curious, toddler that was born into a relatively stress free home, which I believe has a great impact on his relaxed personality. 

I wish I could say the same for children born in other countries.  I chose to research births in Liberia.  This country interested me because I have a cousin that adopted two children from Liberia and their development is not typical of a healthy developing child.  I found that Liberia has one of the highest mortality rates in the world.  Most deliveries are at home because women are afraid of health centers, they are a 7-8 hour or more hour walk away, some continue this behavior due to respecting their culture.  Most do not realize they are risking their lives.  Liberia is one of the top 15 countries for maternal mortality, mainly from hemorrhage, where transfusions are impossible.  Most give birth at home with a family member.  There are only about 400 trained midwives with 3.5 million people.  The country has a high rate of rape, and abortion is illegal and not socially accepted.  In Liberia, $22 is spent a year per person on healthcare, compare to the U.S. at $6.697 per person per year.  That amount astounds me!  Because of the women's inability to make decisions in their culture, many have no other choice but to continue this cycle.  From the beginning, these children are at a disadvantage for a healthy physical, cognitive, and social development.

Lori, J.R.  (2009).  Cultural Childbrith Practices, Beliefs, and Traditions in Liberia.  Retrieved from http://www.nursing.arizona.edu/

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    thank you for sharing the successful delivery of your son. For a fairly stress delivery, Congratulations! Your post on the birthing in Liberia is a typical example of what goes on in many african countries. These women are afraid because the health centers do not have enough qualified hands and most of the women are not learned, hence, no daily paid job. There would be no means for the health care payment because most of their partners are not ready to take up their responsibilities. I have an uncle with his wife in Liberia, but he sent the children, especially the females to Nigeria to study and become something in life. Generally, birthing in african countries should be visited and fine tuned because the children are being affected negatively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations on such an awesome journey with your last son. I'm glad that everything went smooth. I am shocked by the information provided about birthing statistics in Liberia! It is always a reality check when reading about developing countries that are in such danger and risk. In this country's case, it just sounds completely out of control and the statistics speak for itself. It saddens me to learn about women and children dying from not having the opportunity to seek health care. I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete